A Floating Vessel

Many clamps make light work.

The Bevin’s Skiff plans call for 3/4″ × 1 1/2″ chines. Hoping to use lumber I had on hand, I cut the required pieces from southern yellow pine. However, when I test fit them, it became obvious that the chines were not going to bend enough for attachment without seriously deforming the shape of the sides. After pondering the issue for several days, I decided to laminate the chines out of three strips of pine, each 1/4″ × 1 1/2″. This created a considerable amount of extra work but the outcome was satisfactory.

With the chines installed and planed, I laid the bottom on the upside down boat and carefully located and pre-drilled holes for bronze screws. In order to put a layer of epoxy on the underside of the bottom I rigged up a lift which also allowed me to gently lower the plywood onto the boat without smearing epoxy all over everything.

Suspended bottom.

Lining up the bottom with the pre-drilled holes was not as difficult as I had anticipated but it still took a fair amount of fiddling. Nonetheless, I zipped down the screws and cleaned up squeezed out epoxy before flipping the boat over and installing the quarter knees.

With the bottom attached this boat could float!

A whole hull (quarter knees have not been installed yet).

End to End

“The good stuff” – marine plywood.

After a long winter of hibernating, work on the Bevin’s Skiff has begun in earnest. Over the past few weeks, I’ve been studying the plans and gathering materials including three sheets of Hydrotek meranti/keruing marine plywood (also known as “the good stuff”) and some bronze fittings.

Over two weekends, I completed the cutting and shaping of the stem and transom pieces in white oak. The stem is drilled to accept a bronze bow eye. With the two end pieces done, now I just need to finish everything in between!

Transom layout.
Finished transom and stem piece.